I won’t beat around the bush here.
I didn’t run 30 miles this weekend.
I didn’t run any miles this weekend.
At about 11 am on Friday, my mild sore throat that I’d had for 4 days got worse. I knew by about 2:00 pm that I was in fact, infected with the deadly cold.
So, I came home, hopped into bed, Aaron whipped us both up some hot toddys (it was happy hour after all), some soup, and some grilled cheese on Udi’s gluten-free bread for dinner, and we fell asleep hoping to wake up on Saturday miraculously healed.
Um, not quite.
I woke up at 9:30 on Saturday even worse.
Aaron attempted a run on the treadmill before realizing that he couldn’t breathe.
We hung out, slept, drank tea, and medicated ourselves hoping to wake up Sunday miraculously healed.
Um, not quite again.
We were both feeling better overall, but I was still coughing and sneezing.
Apparently the accepted rule is that it is OK to run if your symptoms are above the neck. Our lungs were congested, so we decided that trying to run 20 miles or running at all was not the best idea, especially because the mornings have been pretty crisp the last week. Plus, all rules aside, we just flat out weren’t feeling well. Doing anything that didn’t involve laying down wasn’t high on our priority list.
Throughout this process we’ve had to make some hard cost/benefit analysis with regards to running. This by far has been the hardest.
It isn’t ideal to do your last long run 2 weeks before your marathon, but we will be running our 20 next weekend. It will be a very slow, easy 20, but our last long run was two weeks ago (5 weeks out from Marathon Day), and I’m not feeling comfortable in my endurance level.
Hopefully a two week taper will be enough time to fully recover before the marathon. I’ve felt good after the last two 20 milers, so if we take it slow, and go overboard with recovery efforts, we’ll hopefully be fresh and ready to go on marathon day.
The good news is, I’m feeling better today, so I should be able to get all my runs in this week, and finish training strong NEXT week.
Regardless, we have 3 weeks to go (aaaaahhhh!). I’m keeping my mind in the game (insert High School Musical sing off here), and staying optimistic for a strong marathon. This weekend was definitely a bummer and I’m not happy about it, but we are trying to be flexible and avoid giving up. At this point, that’s about all we can do.
And what fun would this process be to follow if everything was smooth sailing?
I hope your weekend runs went better than ours did!