Just a few things on this lovely 13th Day of September…
1) We’ve been having rainy weather these last few days. I’m uncontrollably giddy every time it rains in September because of this song. I’m going to have to say that this is my all time favorite. It makes me want to twirl around Central Park on a rainy fall afternoon.
2) The sudden change of weather means everyone is getting sick. I flew home from Austin last week and left Aaron there for the man version of the bachelorette party (or bachelor party if you want to get all technical). One of the guys spread his sickness to the others, and when Aaron got home on Monday afternoon, he was well on his way to misery. I have known Aaron for 4 years and this is the first time I’ve seen him sick. Meanwhile I’ve been fighting off a sore throat and irritated sinuses for 2 days now. I want to finish training off strong, but hanging out in bed with a fever doesn’t quite fit into that plan. The thought of missing my last 20 miler is downright scary. MORE AIRBOURNE!!!
3) I hate 800’s. The mere thought makes me want to punch people (Bart Yasso maybe?), and when I start, I turn into the worst whiniest version of myself, and I’m miserable the whole time.
Yesterday I decided to do (4) mile repeats instead. Turns out my mind was completely cool with this switch up. I’ve been aiming for 3:30 800 splits, and I usually hit 1 under, 2 right at, and the rest somewhere between over and way over. Yesterday my mile splits were 6:58, 6:53, 6:49, and 6:42 with a half mile recovery between each…FASTER THAN MY 800’S! (faster than my last couple of 5-K’s too). And I felt great. I started really feeling the last one, but at no point did I feel nauseous (first time ever during my marathon training interval workouts), and my legs and lungs really rose to the challenge.
I hate to even admit this because I DON’T want to be a happy marathon person. I don’t want marathons to become part of my lifestyle. But mentally and physically, miles made so much more sense than 800’s. Overall, I got in 7.15 miles in 1 hour.
5) I always think it’s funny which of my blog pictures people find most interesting. This little beauty was viewed an overwhelming amount of times yesterday.
As a runner, my standards for what qualifies as an acceptable restroom has gone way down (two years ago I could count the number of times I’d used a porta potty on 2 fingers). Finding happy hour at Fish Tails and the gentle murmur of ocean waves prompts the need to pee. So to answer your question, yes, I did use this facility, and it was actually pretty fancy!
6) Here are the photos from the Houston Museum of Fine Art. They had some awesome modern pieces (including a much better Pollock than the one below), but that exhibit didn’t allow pictures. The philosopher’s piece wasn’t supposed to be photographed either (they should probably have a sign instead of yelling at poor camera happy unsuspecting tourists). But as the descendant of a French Impressionist, Impressionism is my favorite, and I had a blast spending the afternoon with Cezanne and Monet and other friends Picasso, Van Gogh, and Pollock.
I hope you have a wonderful (maybe rainy) day! And go eat a cupcake!