Unless you live under a rock (which seems unlikely since you are reading this here blog), you are probably aware that the Opening Ceremony for the Olympics (followed by 17 days of athletic goodness) is tonight!
I love how the Olympics is kind of the world unifier. At this moment, wherever you are, you are likely excited to see your team compete after four years of… I guess not competing? While the World Cup ignites enthusiasm, it really only appeals to futbal lovers (aka everyone aside from the US). And apparently you have to have some sort of special powers to see coverage of the Quidditch World Cup, because I certainly can never find the games on ESPN.
So, we turn to the Olympics to get our fix of patriotism, athleticism, and competitive spirit. And, for reasons that I don’t really understand, the Summer Olympics seem to be a much bigger deal than the Winter ones. Maybe because most of “the greats” are summer Olympians? More team sports? More interesting events? Micheal Phelps topless? Did I say that out loud?
I will admit that I’m not the most Olympic savvy person. I don’t really know anything about half the athletes going in. I probably don’t even know about half the sports being played. BUT, I am excited for the following nonetheless:
1) Phelps vs. Lochte: I agreed to let Michael be my boyfriend 4 years ago despite his inability to articulate and you know, the whole frat boy gone wild thing. Today, he is a more mature, well-spoken version of himself, and even though Ryan is giving him a run for his money as far as my loyalty is concerned (have you seen his shoe collection?), I’m cheering for Michael. Plus, who doesn’t want to see someone become the most decorated Olympian?
2) Missy Franklin: You go, girl. Seriously. I only wish I was that cool when I was 17. She interviews really well, too. I’m hoping she gets 7 out of 7.
3) My BFFs Sanya Richards Ross and Bernard Lagat: Ever since I got to be up close and personal with these crazy fast runners at the Indoor Track and Field Championships held here in Albuquerque last February, I pretty much feel like we’re family members (seriously, both of these people were so nice in person). Sanya is considered one of the top contenders this year, and after watching her in a live performance, I can say there her power is ridiculous.
4) THE MARATHON! Excited to see Kara, Ryan, and Shalane do their 26.2 thang.
4) Soccer: I LOVE international soccer. Gotta support the ladies since the men’s team couldn’t quite hold up. And Dear Hope, I love you, but you should probably not do interviews if you are drunk this time around.
5) Basketball: I’m not really a pro basketball fan, but apparently the US has the dreamiest of the dreamy team. I asked Aaron if Scotty Pippin was on the roster (his wife is a Real Housewife, so I know him!). He gave me a weird look. Does that mean no?
6) Gymnastics: As a little person, I feel like I relate most to these people. Aside from the fact that the round-up is my most advanced tumbling move.
7) OPENING CEREMONY! Since I spent the first 19 years of my life as a “performer,” the whole spectacle is really one of my favorite parts. I fully intend to come home from work, maybe grab some fish and chips and Boddingtons (I know they have gluten, but London + Olympics Opening Ceremony = fish and chips and Boddington occasion), plant myself in front of the TV, and marvel. (In all honesty, we’ll probably have a veggie burger and some water…we do after all have 17 miles to run in the morning).
What Olympic event are you most looking forward to?
Is it weird that I talk about world class athletes like I know them?
Have a fantastic Olympic style weekend!
*I have a huge work project coming up at the end of August that will require long office hours in addition to increased marathon training mileage. Instead of making myself crazy trying to blog or even schedule posts, I’m doing a call for potential guest posters. I can’t promise lots of exposure or anything, but if you’d like to do a guest post, I’d love to have you! Let me know!