For as long as I can remember, I’ve done a formal, written out year in review. I remember doing this as early as 7. I was a weird child.
Sometimes my review listed accomplishments (age 8: learned to ride a bike). Sometimes I would list which singers I thought had the best voice (age 11: Celine Dion). Sometimes I just apologized to people for being antisocial (age 22: quarter life crisis).
2011 was a pretty crazy year in the world. So many extreme and destructive natural disasters happened all over, many in places where those types of things don’t happen. Here in New Mexico we saw record-breaking cold, the a huge wildfire, and earthquakes.
Three of the world’s most controversial leaders were killed. Governments were overthrown. Economies crashed. Thousands of people sold their belongings, convinced that the world was going to end.
In the celebrity world, Charlie Sheen went nuts, Kim K ended her marriage after 72 days, Ashton cheated on his super gorgeous wife with a bimbo looking blonde, and LiLo was in jail? Out of jail? Who knows anymore.
My life was much less dramatic. Still at the same job, still married to the same person, still living in the same city. But looking back, I think I had a pretty great year, did some pretty fun things, and realized that anything I accomplish or don’t accomplish is a direct result of my actions. I’m not so sure I ever really believed that before.
So…here it is….2011 according to Amy
*Rang in the New Year at a secluded cabin somewhere near Las Vegas (NM…not NV). Aside from the pipes freezing, it was a lovely start to 2011.
*Watched CNN as Egypt started a grassroots revolution. No multi-billion dollar war, just the will of the people to do something about their basic human rights.
* Endured one of the coldest few days in New Mexico history. Made me wonder why I wasn’t living in Chicago if we had worse weather than them.
* As a result of this cold weather, resolved with 4 other couples to go to Jamaica.
* Got the worst fever I’ve ever had accompanied by a sinus infection that made food taste terrible for several days…lost weight due to this!
* In trooper style, got dressed up and had a lovely Valentine’s Day dinner despite being sicker than a dog.
* Started this here blog. So far, it has been a really fun way to write and connect with peeps from all over the place.
* Woke up to the news of a terrible earthquake in Japan, and watched in horror as a giant tsunami took out entire villages in seconds. The picture of the tsunami hitting San Francisco is haunting.
* Kissed my dreams goodbye as I watched Prince William marry my BFF Kate at 3 a.m.
* After 3 years, FINALLY lost every last pound of the 15 I gained when I started my first big girl job and first started dating Aaron (and thought I could eat as much as him).
* Watched completely engrossed as Harold Camping and the end of the world people waited for the world to end…I admit….I took a deep sigh of relief at 6:00 pm MST when it didn’t.
* Went to JAMAICA! Enjoyed a week of fun, lounging on the beach, drinking tropical drinks, and hanging out with friends. Overcame my intense fear of snorkeling.
* Giuseppe. Our lives have been forever changed. Yes, I know I talk about him like he is my child. Sometimes I really think he is.
* Signed up for my first half marathon. I was scared.
* House trained Giuseppe. HUGE accomplishment for 2011.
* Professionally, organized a large veteran Job Fair. Proudest moment as an event coordinator and probably the most I’ve worked in 1 week ever.
* Mourned the death of my favorite modern day musician, Amy Winehouse.
* Watched in sadness as Casey Anthony was found not guilty. While I think the jury came up with the right verdict based on the evidence, I find it hard to believe that she didn’t do it.
* Finally saw a production of La Boheme. Puccini is my musical soul mate.
* Watched as the overhyped Hurricane Irene caused lots of damage but not as much as predicted.
* Turned 27, and still haven’t accepted it. Sometimes I feel unaccomplished (both the facebook dude and the new dictator in North Korea are my age), sometimes I just feel plain old (people born in the 90′s can now buy liquor????).
* Helped Casa Rodena winery harvest grapes for wine. If the 2011 Serenade tastes bad…it isn’t my fault.
* Went to a Broncos game and a Rockies game.
* Went to Denver’s Oktoberfest (one of the top 10 in the country) and ate brats and pretzels.
* Continued my time honored tradition of going to the Balloon Fiesta at the crack of dawn.
* Ran my first (and best) Half Marathon at the Duke City Half. An obsession was born.
* Spent a few days in San Francisco and remembered why I love that city SO MUCH.
* Took my first actual walk down Lombard Street.
* Ran my second (and worst) half marathon at the U.S. Half. Immediately signed up for Rock and Roll Arizona to make up for it.
* Celebrated our 2 Year Anniversary by eating at a fancy restaurant that requires a password for entry. (Still crazy about the guy too by the way).
* Finished the gingerbread house project for the first time since 2007.
* Got a fancy camera that I don’t yet know how to use.
* Did lots of Christmasy things.
So now that that’s done, time to stop reflecting on the past and look forward to the future!
Tomorrow I will post my 2012 Bucket List.
I hope your 2011 was full of fun experiences, lessons learned, and proud accomplishments!